Saturday, September 27, 2014

Finally, some pictures!

Hello, there! Mollie, here :)

Now that September is coming to a close, I've finally had a few seconds to upload some pictures. Below you will see a glimpse of what my classroom looked like a few minutes before Open House started. It was not complete, but I hope you can kind of get the picture of what our new learning environment looks like this year!

 
This picture was taken from my door, looking toward the back of my room. As you can see, we don't have the traditionally classroom desk design! We wanted to provide our students with options for how they learn best so we collected some different groups tables, partner tables, individual desks, etc.
 In our rooms we educate our students on what Common Core anchors are. We have them on our back walls year-round for reading and writing so that we can constantly refer back to them.
 Since we don't have desks for storage, we are using these bins from IKEA. Our students enjoy having their personal space for special pencils, notebooks, etc. :)
 One of the best decor tips that I have is to use fabric, instead of paper, for bulletin boards! They last so much longer and you can find such cute fabrics at craft stores.
 Here we have a little space for our learners who enjoy sitting on the ground when they work.
 I chose to go without curtains this year because my AWESOME teaching partner had these cute paper rosette flowers left over from a shower she threw. Amy rocks!
This is the central station that all my students enjoy working at during our independent work time. The stools are from IKEA and they are actually pretty comfortable.
And here's the last thing for tonight. We like to do a little photo booth at Open House to have a picture of our students at the beginning of the year. We hope to do the same thing at the end of year to see how much how little kiddos have grown!

If you have any questions, feel free to comment and ask! Thanks!



6 comments:

  1. Hello! I'm Jennifer from everything just so. You responded to a post of mine in the forums about the blogger award. I love your blog! And your classroom - absolutely the same colors I would have in my own!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post as always, ladies! I nominated your blog for a Liebster Award! To accept the award (and pay it forward) click on this link:

    http://literarysherri.blogspot.com/2014/12/thank-you-for-liebster-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just finished setting up my room after Christmas break like yours and I am very excited for my kiddos to see it on Mondsy. One question, how do you handle testing with the setup? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What did you use to create the "waves" on the ceiling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought tulle from Hobby Lobby. It is doubled up to give it a little more color. :)

      Delete
  5. Hello 2 nutty teachers,

    My name is Yanini Caballero and I am currently teaching First Grade Dual Language at Timber Trails in Hoffman Estates, IL. My teaching partner and I are very much interested in your 21st century classroom set up.

    My teaching partner and I would love to get our feet wet if possible during the rest of this current school year and/or the beginning of the upcoming 2016-17 school year with this new classroom arrangement. We spoke briefly to our principal about this and she is a go! We are so excited!

    I wanted to ask if you could kindly share any insights as to getting this arrangement started and introduced to students. I've read your blog posts (which, by the way, are great and very informative) and have seen that you've shared lots of information with other teachers whom have expressed a similar interest. Would it be possible for you to email and share with me the following information:
    grant proposal and research that supports this classroom arrangement style
    letters to parents explaining arrangements
    how to successfully introduce this new setting to students
    how you work transitions with students throughout the day
    do's and don'ts for successful implementation....please shine your experience on me
    My email is: yaninicaballero@u-46.org and/or yanini1981@yahoo.com

    Thank you in advance!

    ReplyDelete